Monday, July 25, 2011

Portovenere

Portovenere

We've now been here for three days and I have to admit, it's quite the find. It seems to be the place the Italians come to play! There are only a few foreigners which is kinda how I like it. 

It was a 4 hr train ride from Rome then a 30 minute bus, then another 5-10 minute bus (that part is actually walkable). We head into the main town (it's not really that big) at least twice a day. The mornings are for caffe and paste/cornetti (croissants), the afternoons and evenings for a spritz & maybe dinner. 

Yesterday we headed into La Spezia for the morning only to find out that the shops were all closed. It was a bit warm to hang around all day, so we headed back to the apartment. 

I think we counted around 6 gelaterie in Portovenere alone, that's quite a few considering the size of this place. There's one that advertises it's artiginale (artisan) gelati and I have to say, it's the best of the trip. 

Some interesting things: there's a huge old church on the point of the island and it makes for some great photos. It also had a wedding both the Saturday and Sunday. 

A traditional carbonara has no cream! We made one last night and have a few tweaks to make, but we got it pretty close.

The beach, on the weekend was packed. It's like nothing you've ever seen before. And the people are SO dark, it's scary! I don't think they have the same concerns about skin health as they do in Aus. It's not just the young that are out though, men, women, teens, mums, dads, grandparents. And a lot of them wear what ever they want. Grandma wants to wear a bikini? Sure, why not! It's a bit odd, you wouldn't think Australia is conservative, but it is comparatively. I'm intrigued by it, choosing to see it as a celebration of the female form. 

Oh, the seafood here is fantastic! It's so fresh and cooked so well. It's also the only thing on the menu unless you want spaghetti napoletana. I didn't really think that through... That being said, when I looked up places to eat here, I couldn't find anything. I'll have to make note of the names of places and sort that when we get back.

Anyway, I think I've rambled enough given it's 5 in the morning! I'll see if I can upload some more photos soon.

Liv xx

No comments:

Post a Comment